Tuesday, July 27, 2004

unfinished political poem

If I am as good at English as I think i am than I assume that a pro-test should be some sort of an exam
put on by a panel of experts who actually understand the field of their choice
cuz it's hard to even pretend we've done what we've said to let every idiot have their voice
and in this info age you need to understand where we get our information
cause there's no real fair and balanced from npr, limbaugh, the daily show, democcracy now or the nation
and when you put grease on paper you can see right througgh
and the same shit happens when you watch greasy news
with pundits flappin one wing when to fly they're needin two
you have to wonder if what you're lookin at is lookin back at you

but i'm out of my element
the philament's showin weak so lets take a closer look at the goings on of my street
as I walk home from my girlfriends house
down Touhy and Greenview
the buses are just arriving at my local special needs school
and on one bus is a little white boy and a little black boy and they both have cerebal palsy
and the white boy's trying to get his friend to touch somethin gross underneath the bus seat
simple imaginative fun the type i'd be havin if i could
but what's going on outside the bus in the special needs school in my neighborhood

...and the more i'm around kids
the more my writing gets Seuss-y
here at the Daycare at Greenview and Touhy

oh what oh what do I see
I don't see slides for sliding now swinging on swings
I'm sure I don't see them they simply aren't there
in old East Roger's Park
where the playground is bare
blacktop
all dusty and dark

they're afraid of the lawsuits it'd bring
the jaded surmise
their afraid of the money, the public outcry
if some poor retard breaks his neck on the slide

so what's the point of giving funds for slides that aren't for sliding
or books that won't teach the teachless
any more trhan the toys already garnered from community outreach

and maybe i should mention that I wentr to special classes at a public school where they thought I was teachless
where social workers ran ragged grasping any mind that could be reached
and I was too smart to be dumb so they
said they didn't have to pay
my father had to take them to the court so that I could stay
at a school where my mother ran the P T A
and after occupational and physical therepy
and sweat pants and velcro shoes
and name the shape,
and condescension
ritalin
i paid my dues

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home