Sunday, August 14, 2005

i was born at the end of 1982/I was an avid reader of huH magazine

confessions and revelations

1. In 1996 I thought that Wicker Park was a suburb that produced a bunch of wack punk bands, kinda like a more-prolific libertyville

on the other hand they had the Wesley Willis Fiasco and some place called Lounge Ax, which would close just before I turned 18

2. I will never fully trust anyone who owns an Alkaline Trio patch, hoodie or tattoo

Not simply because of their music, but because I had to compete with them for all the high school girls that didn't think they were lesbians when we were 14 - 17

3. Ditto motherfucking Kill Hannah

4. I can tell how old most crackers are by what volume of Punk O Rama they keep around their house or car

5. Remember the Orphan Punks? They were my favorite pop-punk band. Whatever happened to them? "Kick rocks at the Rich Girl" was a great song.

6. I had a grey camoflage baseball cap with a Pantera patch on one side, Wu Tang Clan on the other and a big Anarchy sign in front

7. It was like, "Fuck you man, I like metal AND rap" and shit

8. One of UIC's buildings used to be a Jewel and they used to sell 40 ouncers of King Cobra for 60 cents.

9. There used to be a lot more homeless people around the UIC campus

10. There were years where I would've told you how Sublime's "40 Oz. to Freedom" cassette changed my life. The story still holds true but I'll be damned if anybody hears it again.

11. I miss techno. It truly is the music of the future. "Throw out your guitars, guys."

But no really, I do miss it.

No, it's not still around. It's fucking different.

12. Wide-leg JNCOs were gods gift to fat kids and skinny kids alike

13. The Offspring's "Smash" is still one of the few albums I can listen to, front to back. At one point, I had an Offspring shirt for every day of the week.

"Smash it Up", from the "Batman Forever" soundtrack, was my second-favorite Offspring song, and I didn't realize until years later that it was really a carbon-copy of a Damned original, with much shittier vocals.

14. Flux was the best magazine ever

15. I saw one of the bookcases that used to live at the Nervous Center at a loft space the other night and I must've stared at it transfixed for a good three minutes

to be continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home