Friday, July 29, 2005

boring diary entry/playlist

I'm working on two hours of sleep, and just starting to feel like a person. I'm back on the radio, or will be soon. It's been about 6 months since my last regular gig at a radio station and about a year since I worked at one that wasn't broadcasting illegally. I had to get there at 7 this morning, for my final training session. It was an alright set, nothing too weird. I fucked up a couple times and talked like I was being kept up with machines. Hopefully it'll be the last time I have to make a decision before 9 AM for months to come. Here's the setlist:



Oingo Boingo - Nasty Habits (Demo)
Petra Haden - I can see for miles
Ministry- the missing
the Deviants - Child of the Sky
MC Jack E Chocolate - Pavaroty (from the Rio Baile Funk comp)
Money Mark - Break Open My Shells (the only worthwhile track on a lackluster album from 2004)
Masaki Batoh - You Doo Right
the Ventures Walk Don't Run/Perifidia/Lullaby of the Leaves
(this would've been really cool if I realized there was a 2 minute Spanish intro before the medley. I accidentally ejected this disc before the Lullaby of the Leaves crescendo which sucks because that's my favorite song of theirs. Also check out the Asylum Street Spankers version with an awesome singing saw solo)
Aesop Rock - Number Nine
Essential Logic- Quality Crayon Wax

then I started my slow, destructo set:

Tom Waits - November (more singing saw!)
The Ex - Let's Panic Togethor
Enuma Elish - Imminent Doom

then I countered the destructo set with the super happy set:

Ian Dury and the Blockheads - wake up and make love to me
Puffy AmiYumi - Boogie Woogie No. 5
Dee Lite - What is Love?

that set may be kinda annoying at 8:15, but I promise that if it doesn't make you happy, then you have no soul. Either way, I eviscerate the super happy buzz with the "Oh shit I just wanna cut myself and cry but in a totally un-emo way" set:



Xiu Xiu - Bog People (the only good song on the new Xiu Xiu album)
Einsturzende Neubauten - Zom Tier Machen



Then I started waking up and put an end to the themed sets:



14 Yr Old Girls - THUG
Staurday Looks Good to Me - since you stole my tears

MC5 - Miss X (it was a big mistake to play this without screening it, because it was a Poison-worthy monster ballad. Too much heroin in Wayne Kramer when he recorded the "High Time" album)

and it was time to go.

I really am just now starting to feel like a human again. They cut my hours at work for the last two weeks; I negotiated them back up on account of it was finals. Because of this i don't know if I left fifteen minutes early or an hour, fortyfive late. I saw Linda hanging outside of Columbia. She told me it was her last night in the city before she'd move to Minnesota with her girlfriend. I dragged her to George's and we split a pitcher of Miller Lite. It was good to see her off. We hung out about every day for two years now without ever leaving Columbia's campus.

She told me good luck and I told her have fun and we set off north and south.

I'd snuck into a McDonald's to take a shit when Tania called to remind me about her work party.

It was this big gala affair, with bad djs and amazing food in small portions. I'd gone from Miller Lite to Lime Martinis and bar popcorn to wasabi caviar and shortbread. It was the first time I was at an event like that that I wasn't crashing. It was weird. When I got there some rent-a-spa woman was putting eye makeup on Nate. He was dressed like a bullfighter with a short jacket with shoulderpads. Tania rushed up to tell me they took her picture for Chicago Social. Ick, but. Cool, but. Ick. Nate and I came to a consensus that everyone Tania worked with was beautiful. It was surprising to see how some of these big deal corporate places can find so many competent attractive people or attractive competent people or. . maybe they're the same thing.

Tania, Nate and I and some of the other employees started a dance floor for the New Order and Duran Duran songs. It's been too long since I've danced in something that wasn't a pit or a bedroom. At least a month, I think.

The thing that really made me happy was a call from Ramon. I'd given up on him, on most of my old friends whom I can never actually hang out with. He told me he was having a few people over for drinks and board games. It ended up being everyone, all those people I used to see four or five times a week. My old roommates Ken and Jason. my old kinda roommates Jonesy, Kowboy, Chris, KC, Jhon. Karlye, Margaret, Devon, Lorelei, Corey, Zeke, Galley, Lorelei, Pretty Pete, Ryno, Eligio, Jeff, Jeffsperado, Mario, Alex that put his head through our wall. A few random 17-year old drunk girls thrown in for good measure.

I drank Dewars and apple juice and canned Rolling Rock, and had long involved discussions about Pantera.

Ryan, who I see less than most, told me that he was going to my school this year. He should. Actually, no one should, but it's better than where he's at now. He's an artist, a painter, an illustrator with a lot of talent but no direction. One day he'll be doing makeshift album covers and t-shirt designs, the next he'll be painting Anime characters, the next he'll be replicating Geiger art. He slimmed down. He used to be my size. I'm jealous. He told me he'd realized his dream. He wants to play baseball. He wants to be a pitcher. It could've been drunk talk, it could've been because I had a shirt with a picture of a pitcher on it (the gayest shirt I could find at the Brown Elephant) but he sounded genuine. He said a lot of people were giving him shit about it but fuck em. It was this really honest, cute, sad, amazing moment, and it's one of the reasons I feel human again.

And all I was going to do was keep reading my book

Currently listening:
Klaus Nomi
By Klaus Nomi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home