Tuesday, April 11, 2006

themes from a dream I'm not sure I understand

the Wizards take a field trip to an Einsturzende Neubauten show
(I am extra careful to pronounce it correctly: Noy baht ten),
a black reggae rapper opens, he could be the son of Matisyahu and GQ tha Teacher,
Eli Sloan has gone from backpack head to Orthodox Jew
and boards a bus with a crew of Hillel kids twenty-deep,
driving through the Northwest Side of Chicago from the suburbs
the return of the Fireside Bowl
not just a show but the old days
Deanna meets me in a pink dress
are we in Chicago or New York?
a crew of high school ROTC kids
,all black,
show up
fresh from a military funeral
Lamon is there
with a huge afro
and Navy charcoal
this feels like a secret date
but we talk about each others' boyfriends and girlfriends
somebody's on X
and he's hypnotised by the zine table
in a secret room
I am fooled,
floored
by an impromptu song by a guy in a suit
an undercover set by Mike from Noise (Not) Noise
I take the bait

the phone rings and I wake up. Breanna and Robyn are heading back home. It's one pm. the apartment is too hot and we need to get started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home