Friday, January 20, 2006

Arson Around With Auntie ALF and Uncle ELF

That was a poster I used to have on my wall when I lived in Wicker Park. It wasn't really a poster so much as the illustrated cover of a pamphlet explaining various ways to rip the system, some factoids on why you should, and some adresses of big time offenders. I got it at a show at the Congress Theatre or the Azone, I can't remember anymore.I thought it was one of the greatest things I'd ever seen, and it followed me to four apartments after that. It's tattered to shit now but I've still got it in a box somewhere because I can't throw it away. Chances are, it'll get used against me in a court of law some day.

Eleven members of the Animal Lberation Front and the Earth Liberation Front got the prosecution hammer thrown down today on charges of ecoterrorism. I don't know why it was called "ecoterrorism", though. It was more Fight Club-style arson than 12 Monkeys-style pandemic-spreading. Maybe because it was terrorism done in the name of ecology but that still seems a bit off.

I don't know quite how I feel about it. While I support the ALF and ELF's tactics, they knew the consequences, committed the crimes and got busted (assuming of course that the arrests and indictments were legit). Plus, I just finished grilling a fat steak and some pork loin and I've known more than a few ALFers who'd think me scum for it. Still, this is just a further example of the new distinction leftist radical groups were given under post-September 11th antiterrorism laws and they'll probably receive outlandish sentences because of it.

Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing Alberto Gonzalez's head on the same pike as Ashcroft and Janet Reno's. Lumping all left-of-center conservation groups (some violent, most not) together and saying that they're the greatest domestic threat out there is fucking ridiculous.Matt Hale tried to put a hit out on a motherfucker, and every couple of years some white power dudes'll get locked up for putting some people down. These guys burnt down an empty ski resort. What this shows was already pretty obvious: the feds care more about money than they do about human life.

I feel like I must be naive for having to say it but I feel like it needs to be said, out loud and often.

Anyway, just thought you guys should know.

blah blah blah
History of Women in Hardcore tonight at the Mess Hall. Lord of the Yum Yum and Black Bear Combo at Reversible Eye after that. If I don't see you tonight, I'll see you tomorrow. Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home