Sunday, September 10, 2006

I think about unimportant shit when I could be dreaming beautiful dreams

which is fine because my dreams are just like everyone else's

no matter, I created a term today. someone may have created it before, but I created it TODAY, and I refuse to go to google and risk diminishing my accomplishmant.

As you know, in the world of metal you could be the hardest, coke-eating, soul burning, puppy sacrificing motherfucker, revered worldwide for your dual loves of sodomy and sacrilege, and you can still, every once in a while, pull out the acoustic guitar and ham it up for the ladies

they call it a MONSTER BALLAD
and some people are alright with that

There are a few reasons why it doesn't happen too often in punk rock, or at least not in the punk rock you're likely to hear recorded. For starters, a lot of metalheads started off with classical training, whereas a lot of punks can't compose outside of three chords. Punk also has trouble being as cartoonish as metal, as it's often bogged down with the rage, the political messages, the hair glue, and the politics of slam dancing, which is not to say that glued hair and moshing is uncartoonish, just a different kind.

It does happen occasionally, though, and the results are always surprising and sometimes, very beautiful. Here are a few examples....

The Stranglers - "Golden Brown"
Naked Raygun - "Holding you"
and just about everything Social Distortion have put out since "Mommy's Little Monster"

I have decided that these songs need a name, a derivative, familiar name:

DUMPSTER BALLADS

Now I just need to release a podcast or a 2-disc/2-cassette set before Time/Life beats me to it at $17.99 a piece.

-----

Speaking of which, I'm reviving my high school dream of having my own record label/distro. The first release will be

"Ain't Nothin' Wrong With A Little Bump and Grindcore: The Music of R. Kelly"

to be honest, I came up with the name first and the idea second, a few months ago, but I think it's a fitting project. Here are just a few things I dislike about R. Kelly:

He is, ostensibly, Chicago's biggest and most untouchable celebrity (at least after Oprah and Daley). We let him get away with banging younguns for over a decade before he took it too far and let a tape get out. He married Aaliyah when she was sixteen, and it took the investigative team of fucking B96 to out him. He is the only multiplatinum R&B star to have a golden shower tape circulating on the internet. He pussed out of a fight with Jay-Z. Nobody seems to mind that he switches back and forth between gospel albums and sex jams...

and he wrote motherfucking "I Believe I can Fly"

Still, he can craft a good radio jam and he makes a great undercover weirdo.

However, I think the time has come for the everyday weirdos to have a chance deconstructing the radio jams.

If you're interested at all in contributing, in terms of art, music, space or equipment to record, hit me up, It should be a good time.

[currently reading "Drugs are Nice" by Lisa Crystal Carver

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home